This is a crash course into the magical world of medicinal mushrooms and how they can be used to optimize your health and well-being.
Medicinal mushrooms (such as Lions Mane, Turkey Tail, Cordyceps, Reishi and Maitake) offer a world of healing and are immune regulating all-stars. These are just a small few of over 10,000 species of mushrooms, but are some we have the most research on.
We are only on the cusp of understanding the complexities of how these amazing fungi work to untangle and direct our own innate immune responses, causing cascades of events that seem to orchestrate our own potential to heal and thrive.
Mushrooms contain Beta-glucans (these are complex polysaccharides which are basically sugar chains with a protein attached to them). Beta-glucans are recognized firstly (after ingestion) by the villi in our small digestive intestines (these are the finger like projections that transport substances into the bloodstream.)
From here they act to trigger our own innate immune response, which by proxy acts to address many things, using our many already existent immune cells. Some of the benefits of these beta-glucans cause cascades in the body that: reduce inflammation, reduce the impacts of stress, trigger the immune system to fight cancer cells/viruses/bacteria etc, help with cognition, memory improvement, even work to prevent age associated memory loss!
Here is a brief list of some of the mushrooms offered at Thrive and their researched impacts on the human body:
- Cordyceps (Cordyceps militaris); Energy, fatigue and general recovery enhancement. *Cordyceps were actually used by Olympic athletes and found to improve physical performance and maximize use of oxygen in the body.
- Turkey Tail (Trametes versicolor); Immunomodulator, used prolifically in Japan for cancer patients. *As mentioned above is an anti-cancer powerhouse.
- Maitake (Grifola frondosa); Nervous system tonic, potent immunomodulator, also works to promote blood sugar metabolism in conditions like diabetes.
- Lions Mane (Hericium erinaceus); Neuro-protective and studied to re-myelinate in degenerative brain conditions. Improves cognitive function. *Lions made was used to treat rats who had chemically induced memory loss similar to Alzheimer’s (related to neuronal damage.) Many of the rats experienced a full reversal in symptoms and memory loss.
- Reishi (Ganoderma lucidum); Immunomodulator, anti-cancer agent, combats anxiety/insomnia and adrenal exhaustion. Supports impaired immune system. *Reishi has been studied to improve survival rates and reduce negative side effects in many types of cancers including prostate, lung, breast, colon, bladder, brain and liver.
From the moment we dreamt up Thrive, we knew we wanted to include mushrooms in our offerings. It was important for us to do it right (including finding the best quality and high potency powders.
Every mushroom extract we sell is made from 100% organic fruiting bodies that have been through extensive testing processes to guarantee there are high levels of the active constituents present in the powders. They are the real deal. Mushrooms are an investment in your health and work behind the scenes with your body to enhance its own natural ability to heal itself.
Because we use such high concentration mushroom extracts we have room to add other useful medicinal herbs to create specific and effective formulas. We are also excited to offer custom mushroom capsules, made just for you!
Please leave us a comment and let us know if you have taken mushrooms medicinally and what your experience was! We would love to hear from you!
Formulated and created in small batches with love,
-Thrive Custom Herbals.