Turmeric is one of the most treasured medicines when it comes to chronic inflammation, which if left untreated can lead to a variety of diseases like arthritis, auto-immunity diseases, diabetes, asthma, fibromyalgia and cancer.
Not only does Turmeric combat inflammation in the body, but it is also an incredible anti-oxidant, liver and heart protectant and anti-cancer medicine. You can find endless brands for sale all at a wide variety of prices and it can feel overwhelming. Not all Turmeric supplements are the same however, and we hope this article can educate you on the benefits of this amazing root medicine as well as what to look for when purchasing Turmeric capsules.
What you need to know:
- The active constituent in Turmeric root is called “Curcumin.” Curcumin has low bioavailability in the body (meaning its not absorbed well). The addition of Black pepper has shown to increase the absorptive capacity of tumeric by up to 2000%!
***Always make sure your Turmeric supplements contain black pepper/pepperine! You get what you pay for!
- Curcumin in Turmeric is a potent anti-inflammatory. Studies have reported Curcumin to having a longterm effect similar to hydrocortisone (which is a pharmaceutical anti-inflammatory with many negative side-effects.) How? For those interested: It is a dual aa inhibitor (inhibits both cyclooxygenase & 5-lipoxygenase)
- Why is inflammation bad? Our bodies inflammatory response is very important to our overall health. However, when we have too much systemic inflammation (ie. chronic and lasting inflammation) our body ends up attacking its own healthy tissue. This contributes to many health conditions like arthritis, cancer, obesity, asthma, auto-immune conditions… to name a few.
- Turmeric has EVEN MORE benefits! Not only is it one of the safest and most effective inflammation modulators, it is also a POTENT anti-oxidant, a bitter (supporting bile production), a liver protectant, cardio (heart) protective, anti-microbial and cancer preventative.
- Turmeric is not recommended for folks with gallstones, biliary obstruction, acute jaundice or hepatitis, if your on anti-coagulants or pregnant!
I have cited a more in depth, scholarly article which better articulates the science behind Turmeric and Curcumin. Please feel free to read it for more information.
We want to know if you use Turmeric and if so, do you find it works well for you? Leave us a comment!
-Thrive Custom Herbals